Saturday, March 12, 2011

Being Over 40 And Staying Motivated

Training is hard. Well training with any real meaning. We can all jump on a treadmill and start watching MTV while thinking about what we are going to make for dinner. If we manage to get a mild sweat on then without doubt you have exercised.  Is it meaningful exercise? For the vast majority-no. I had lunch with a friend today. He too trains with the Crossfit method.  It was interesting listening to him describe his new diet and how his strength training is going. He sounded a little frustrated, time is always an issue.  I started to beat myself up too complaining how I have not been consistent enough with my strength training blaming age and old injuries and how my jeans don't fit any more.  Later I reflected on how negative I must have sounded and no wonder I was feeling under motivated.  I have been training long enough now to know what works for me but occasionally I lose sight of this and find myself just faffing around.  So I decided to sit down and think about some real positives in my training in this year.

Well my back is better and therefore I am lifting again and I am going to work on getting back into some old PR zones.  And some I might beat. I have always fancied a bodyweight strict shoulder press.

I am back doing the 100 days of burpees challenge again. My third time! This time I am going for a sub 5 minute time. Last year was 5'28". Surely that's a good time?

My arm is healing. I did 5 pull ups today. That's some good news.

I have discovered a whole new bunch of people who are hungry to learn about Crossfit. That's very motivating. I really enjoy teaching.

I taught myself to back flip this year. All on my own with a little help from You Tube. It is not pretty but it is a back flip.

My squat is still improving. I think that will always be the case. But any improvement is good.

This has translated into my lifts and in particular the snatch. So I have seven positives listed surely I can go on to get another three for a ten total.

My free handstands have come on too, getting whole several seconds now!

Mastered the kipping knees to elbows and toes to bar. Much more efficient.

Just one more.  My Saturday class has expanded to three main classes now and they are always fully booked. So I must be doing something right.  And I really do enjoy them too.

So my lesson here is not to dwell on the negative but instead focus on the positive and plan to improve not just moan about it.     

No comments:

Post a Comment