Friday, April 29, 2011

Burpee Burnout - Coping With Failure

Friday the 22nd April 2011 will be a memorable day for me. It was the start of my realisation that I may not finish this burpee challenge.  The third time of this challenge had proved even more challenging than the previous two.  Time constraints and a little inconsistent training had helped contribute to the feeling of struggling.  I had experienced RSI type injuries in the past. In particular right wrist pain and left shoulder pain. Both throw backs to an old motorbike injury when I high sided my bike.  I always remember the next morning in the GP's surgery being told off by the doctor for not going straight to A&E "This will come back to haunt you in your old age" Boy was she right.  The shoulder pain this time around has been at times excruciating even affecting normal daily life.  The chromium clavicular is now seriously inflamed.

But none of this was going to stop me until the morning of the 22nd. A bank holiday Easter weekend away planned for Kippford in Scotland.  I awoke feeling excited and mistook the strange feeling in my stomach as butterflies, alas no.  I was struck down with a stomach bug with severity I had never experienced before.  Within in hour I returned to my bed with cramps, shivers and sweats.  I bravely pushed out 40 burpees with the hope I would improve later. But instead I endured 36 hours of fighting to stay hydrated, sleepless nights and secondary back pain. I guess caused by the peculiar contortions inflicted upon me.

We still made it to Scotland and I made the best of it with some beautiful sunshine.  But when I started to contemplate the numbers required to catch up along with the shoulder injury I decided enough was enough.  My girlfriend is still going and with rest and recovery I hope to join her on day 100 while in Gothenburg.

So how do I feel about this?  Well mixed really, both disappointed and a little relieved. I had it in the back of my mind that I was doing some permanent damage to my shoulder but blunt stubbornness kept me going. Not very intelligent I know.  But its taken me nearly a week to get over the stomach complaint and the reality is a conspiracy of misfortune has overcome me.  If you are still in the challenge, fantastic effort and good luck. The last ten days are very very tough.  But worth it.   

No comments:

Post a Comment